Venue: Council Chamber - Town Hall, Huddersfield. View directions
Contact: Andrea Woodside Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Announcements by the Mayor and Chief Executive
To receive any announcements from the Mayor and Chief Executive.
Council received tributes to (i) the Elected Members who be retiring at the forthcoming elections; Councillors Lukic, Sarwar, K Taylor, White and Warner and (ii) Councillor Perry who had recently resigned.
Council were reminded of the requirements of Section 106 of the Local Government and Finance Act 1992 in relation to voting and participation in the meeting.
Apologies for absence
Group Business Managers to submit any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received on behalf of Councillors Anwar, Loonat, Sheard, A Smith, K Taylor and White.
Minutes of Previous Meeting PDF 313 KB
To agree and authorise the Mayor to sign the Minutes of Council held on 22 February 2023.
Approved as a correct record.
Declaration of Interests PDF 22 KB
The Councillors will be asked to say if there are any items of the Agenda in which they have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interests, which would prevent them from participating in any discussion of them items or participating in any vote upon the items, or any other interests.
No interests were declared.
To consider the recommendations of Cabinet (Budget), held on 21 February 2023, that;
(i) General Fund Revenue
- the draft Revenue Budget for 2023-2024, as attached at Appendix A, be approved
- the forecast spending and funding plans for the 2024-2028 period, as set out at Appendix A, be noted
- the forecast levels of statutory and other council reserves, as set out at Appendix Cii, be noted
- the strategy for the use of balances and reserves (paragraph 2.16 refers) be approved
- the Council’s participation in the Leeds City Region Business Rates Pool for 2023-2024 be noted and that authority be delegated to the Chief Executive and Service Director (Finance), in consultation with the Leader and Cabinet Member (Corporate Services), to agree the governance arrangements for 2023-2024, to be approved by the Business Rates Joint Committee (paragraph 2.6.4 refers)
- it be noted that discussions regarding the uplifts on the rates paid to external providers for demand-led activities are ongoing, and that authority be delegated to the Strategic Director (Adults and Health) to agree the final uplifts to rates for 2023-2024 (paragraph 2.10.3 refers)
- the Council’s anticipated Housing Support Fund Round 4 allocation, and Council Tax Support Fund for 2023-2024 be noted, and that authority be delegated to the Strategic Director (Corporate Strategy, Commissioning and Public Health), in consultation with the Cabinet Member (Corporate Services), the Cabinet Member (Learning, Aspiration and Communities) and Service Director (Finance) to agree the mechanism for how the funding will be used (paragraph 2.13.7 refers)
- approval be given to the Council’s flexible capital receipts policy for 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 (paragraphs 2.14.8 to 2.14.11 and Appendix E refer)
- approval be given to the Council Tax requirement for 2023-2024 (Appendix H refers)
- the Council’s Statutory 151 Officer’s positive assurance statement as to the robustness of the forecasts and estimates and adequacy of financial reserves be noted (paragraphs 3.3.1 to 3.3.16 refer)
- authority be delegated to the Council’s statutory s151 Officer to amend how the finally approved precepts are recorded in the Council’s revenue budget in line with the final notifications received following decisions by the West Yorkshire Mayor Police and Crime Commissioner, the Fire and Rescue Authority and the Parish Councils, should these be received after 8 March 2023 (paragraph 3.1.3 refers)
(ii) Treasury Management
- the borrowing strategy be approved (paragraphs 2.17 to 2.26 of Appendix I refer)
- the investment strategy be approved (paragraphs 2.27 to 2.35 of Appendix I, Appendices A and B refer)
- the policy for provision of repayment of debt (minimum revenue provision) be approved (paragraphs 2.36 to 2.39 of Appendix I and Appendix C refer)
- the treasury management indicators be approved (Appendix D refers)
- the investment strategy (non treasury investments) be approved (Appendix E refers)
- the updated Capital Plan 2022-2028 be approved (Appendix A refers)
- the Capital Strategy (including prudential indicators) be approved (Appendix F refers)
(iv) Housing Revenue Account
- the draft Housing Revenue Account Budget ... view the full agenda text for item 5:
Budget Motion approved.