Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Motion approved, as amended;
This Council notes that:
Small Business Saturday is an annual event which was
created to encourage consumers to ‘shop local’, in
person and online, and to support small, independent businesses in
Small Business Saturday 2023 is coming up on
Saturday 2nd December. Small Business Saturday has grown
into a significant event – with £1.1 billion spent at
small businesses during the 2020 event alone;
3) This is an excellent opportunity to promote small businesses in Kirklees and to celebrate the contribution smaller businesses make to our district.
1) Small businesses are the heart and soul of our local high streets. They help give our villages and towns in Kirklees their unique character and employ thousands of local people. It is only by supporting our local independent businesses that we can also help our local high streets thrive;
2) Now, more than ever, we need to be supporting our small businesses and local shops, who are currently experiencing enormous challenges, including economic, political and social uncertainty, the cost-of-living crisis and impact on consumer spending, the rising cost of bills and a reduction in profit margins due to inflation. A side effect of rising inflation is higher interest rates, which has an impact on borrowing and enabling businesses to access finance, including business loans. According to recent reports, UK high street businesses could face a quadrupling of their tax bills next year and close to a £2 billion increase in business rate payments;
3) Local businesses are vital to local economies – they are significant creators of jobs and are more likely to hire people who live locally. The money spent at a local business is more likely to stay in the community. They are the backbone of our communities, bringing people together and building local character. However, many small businesses will close unless we support them better.
This Council resolves to:
1) Call upon the Government to replace the outdated business rates system with a modern system of fair business taxes, that recognises the challenges and difficulties for new and start-up businesses.
2) Request that Officers work closely with local business organisations and smaller enterprises across Kirklees to make them aware of Small Business Saturday and encourage them to sign up.
3) Ensure that Small Business Saturday is promoted prominently on the
Council’s website, social media channels and other external
4) Develop a year-round communications plan to continue promoting local small businesses and encouraging residents in Kirklees to shop local all year round.
5) Request that the Government takes action to ensure the scourge of late payments which can decimate small business cash flow and should be tackled with meaningful legislation.
6) Request that appropriate measures should also be introduced to ensure small business can access public contacts in a simpler way, to ensure the playing field is level with large companies whose resources allow them an unfair advantage.
7) Notes that Officers and Portfolio Holders are looking at ways to encourage shoppers into town in the run up to Christmas by looking at what options are available.
Publication date: 19/11/2023
Date of decision: 15/11/2023
Decided at meeting: 15/11/2023 - Council